Monday, January 17, 2011

Update for January 17

Before I give the updates to Gary's visit to the doctor this morning, I want to let everyone know that you can now post a comment without having to sign in.  With some help from a friend, I learned how to open this blog site so anyone can post a comment and Gary will see it in this blog.

Now for the updates:  Gary has lost another 7 lbs!!!.  He has now lost a total of about 75-80 lbs.  He weighs 165 lbs on the hospital scales which is down from his high of about 240-245 lbs.  This is not good....so Dr Leo made some changes to his medicines and prescribed a medicine to give him an appetite.  Dr Leo said that if he lost much more it would be dangerous. 

In addition to taking the appetizer medicine, Gary has to drink Carnation Instant Breakfast (mixed with Almond milk, Soy milk, or Rice milk) after each meal and at bedtime.  Dr Leo said he will soon be partially lactose intolerant, so he should not be drinking cow milk. I stopped by Wal-Mart tonight after work and bought him several boxes of Carnation Instant Breakfast and Almond milk.  I am going to keep a log of everything he eats so I can keep on top of his food intake. 

Gary did not have a good weekend.  He got sick several times, had stomach pains again, was very tired and had trouble seeing clear to read the newspaper.  I called Dr Nutt about his eyesight and he said Gary will have trouble seeing due to the double dose of chemo and radiation.  He also said it should just be temporary, but will need his eyes checked after treatment is over to see if there are any permanent changes. 

I will update again next week.

Jannis

12 comments:

  1. Hey Coach just wanted to let you know that your are in my thoughts and prayers. Looking forward to hearing of yet another championship under your belt. Much Love and Respect, Erica "Red"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gary and Jannis - you both remain in my thoughts and prayers.

    Dear Lord, I pray for health and strength both physically and emotionally for Gary and his family. I pray that You comfort them as they endure these difficult days, and that they will develop a closeness with You that will not only pull them through this illness, but will continue to guide them in life. I pray for a sense of peace and understanding and acceptance as they learn more and are required to make continued changes to their lives. Lord, grant them the miracle of health and life. Amen

    Alison (Petersen) Rotich

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gary. This is your old neighbor and JHS alum Chuck Ross. I hope you get this message, I do a lot on the internet but know nothing about blogs and twittering. The word twitter even sounds obscene dosen't it? As you know, if we had ever been caught twittering, we would have been in big trouble. Anyway, I understand you are going through some tough times. I just want you to know that you are not going through this alone. I'm all the way across the country in the state of Washington but I'm with you in spirit and thinking of you. I'm now tracking your progress and wishing you the very best. I hope to see good things about you soon. Take care my man and the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One night I dreamed a dream.
    I was walking along the beach with my Lord. Across the dark sky flashed scenes from my life. For each scene, I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand, one belonging to me and one to my Lord.

    When the last scene of my life shot before me I looked back at the footprints in the sand. There was only one set of footprints. I realized that this was at the lowest and saddest times of my life. This always bothered me and I questioned the Lord about my dilemma.

    "Lord, You told me when I decided to follow You, You would walk and talk with me all the way. But I'm aware that during the most troublesome times of my life there is only one set of footprints. I just don't understand why, when I need You most, You leave me."

    He whispered, "My precious child, I love you and will never leave you, never, ever, during your trials and testings. When you saw only one set of footprints, It was then that I carried you."

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're here if you need anything don't hesitate to call.. all of you are in our thoughts and prayers -- The Kumps

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Gary and Jannis. Thank you for letting everyone know about the blog so we can keep up with Gary's Progress. Please know that you are both in our thoughts and prayers and please let us know if we can do anything to help.

    Steve and Debby Claxton

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gary and Jannis!

    Just want to say we are thinking of you and praying for you. Please know we will do anything else you need us to do too.

    Love from your cousins Alice and Ed

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gary,

    We just wanted to let you know we are thinking and praying for you and your family. Hope all goes better this coming week.

    Jim and Rhonda Fisher

    ReplyDelete
  9. You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

    Kathy Drake

    ReplyDelete
  10. YOU ARE IN MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS, ESPECIALLY AT 10:00 WHEN I LOOK AT THE MOON. KEEP FIGHTING!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to express our well wishes and add our prayers to the many friends and families prayers. We grew up together in Joplin and known as the Cole kids. We were at all the basket ball games and cheered the team on, and our brother Dick was on the team as well. Those were the best years and we knew the Keelings and felt a family connection. We are cheering you on from San Antonio, and praying for you and your family. God hears our prayers and He is always with us and He will see us through any trials that life brings our way. He is the God of all comfort. Donna(Cole)Bechhold.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Coach~

    Thoughts and prayers for health and recovery!!!
    Much Love to you and your family!
    The Halls - Danny, Denise, Christie, Stephanie, & Laura

    ReplyDelete